TIGR BAC sequencing
In the second phase of the Consortium for Maize Genomics project,
we have sequenced 287 BACs from a combination of the maize BAC libraries CHORI-201 B73 (ZMMBBc)
constructed by Pieter J. de Jong and NSF B73 (ZMMBBb) constructed by Jeff Tomkins.
- BACs were end-sequenced and fingerprinted for identity confirmation.
- BAC Shotgun libraries contained an insert size of 6-8 kb.
- Paired-end reads for approximately 1,000 clones were produced, which provided approximately 5 to 7.5 fold sequence coverage.
- Sequence reads and assembled BAC sequences were deposited at NCBI Trace archive and GenBank respectively once available.
- Assembled BACs were annotated using an improved automated TIGR annotation pipeline optimized for maize.